Monday, December 28, 2009

A couple of funny stories...

Riley's vocabulary and comprehension of information amaze me sometimes. Thought I'd share a few funny stories from the past few months...

Gifts for Baby Jesus
As we were lying in bed one night, Riley and I were discussing the details of the first Christmas. He began learning how things went down that night from his Sunday School teachers (Mrs. Peggy and Papa Moe) several weeks before, and I'm sure they had been discussing at school as well. I thought I knew all that he had covered but as he was drifting off, he said, "What about the murm, Mama?...The gold, murm and frankenscent?" Guess I didn't know all he had heard!

"Open it Up"
One day as we were getting ready for naptime, Riley decided he needed to give baby brother some sugars. He crawled over to me, put his hands on belly, and said, "Open it up" as he pulled up my shirt to kiss my belly.

"Watch your Language"
We've had to really be careful about the things we say lately as most of what we say, he repeats. While "Dang it" or "Oh, my gosh" seem fairly harmless, they sound a little funny coming from the mouth of a 2-year-old. So, we've tried to correct him and ask him to use other phrases such as "Oh, my goodness" and just this week, his Meems introduced "Fiddlesticks." So, what does he say in his moment of frustration?

"Oh, my gosh...and dang it...dadgummit!"

Should've known!

"Going back to Georgia"
For Thanksgiving, my older brother rode his motorcycle over from Georgia and made quite an impression on Riley. It's a tricked-out yellow number that's really loud! Despite my fears, I even let Shannon take me around the block on it. What a sight!!

So now, Riley will get on his ride-on toy and tell me, "I'm going back to Georgia, Mama!" and then strap on his helmet. One night, as he was riding around the house, he pulls up next to me on his "motorcycle" and says, "Mama, get on the back with me!" Oh, how I wish, my sweet boy!

"He's so CUUUUTE!"
While rummaging through the nightstand by my bed one day, Riley discovered a picture of a baby. He quickly surmised, "Look, Mama! It's baby brother!" I explained that it was not baby brother but him - when HE was a baby. He looked at it for a minute, seeming somewhat puzzled, and then began to smile. He looked up at me with those big brown eyes and concluded, "He's so CUUUUTE!"

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I'm so glad to see you blogging again!! Hope y'all had a great Christmas!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker